Ten Concepts Everyone in ICT4D Should Know
July 28, 2017 Editor 0
I was recently asked which concepts are helpful in learning more about Information and Communication Technologies for Development (ICT4D). I didn’t have an immediate answer for her. ICT4D can be a daunting field to start out in. It’s a domain occupied by academics as well as practitioners; field workers and policy wonks, technologists and activists. […]More
What Are Dell, Micromax Informatics, and Others Doing in ICT4D?
November 4, 2015 Editor 0
While the rapid development of information and other technologies has brought the world closer together, it has also contributed to highlighting some of the glaring differences between first and third world countries over the last two decades. As smartphones accelerated innovation through the ever-expanding mobile app market, third world countries were still catching up to […]More
Is ICT4D Dooming Poor People to Greater Income Inequality?
July 17, 2015 Editor 0
I firmly believe in Kentaro Toyama’s maxim that technology magnifies human intent (read his book Geek Heresy?), and since I am an optimist, I therefore believe that information and communication technology can improve the lives of people at the base of the pyramid. Yet, my utopia is questioned by a World Bank working paper that […]More
Is ICT4D Slowly Dying or Slowly Changing?
April 24, 2015 Editor 0
Last year, James BonTempo, Director of ICT and Innovation at Johns Hopkins CCP wrote that ICT4D is slowly dying. ICT4D enthusiasts had a lot to say in response, provoking James to write a Part II follow up. The topic came back at the Tech Salon on How to Bring ICT4D to Your Development Organization?, and […]More
Why is Human-Centered Design Important to ICT4D?
August 15, 2013 Editor 0
Adele Waugaman recently interviewed Danny Alexander and Sean Hewens of IDEO.org around the use of Human Centered Design in ICT4D for the blog series Best Practice in ICT4D. [Sean]: In general the development community is very risk averse. If things go badly, you’re not talking about losing quarterly profits but losing lives. One of the […]More
Thankfully, ICT4D is Now About Strategy and Implementations, Not Technovelty
August 18, 2012 Editor 0
Just like any other industry, the ICT for Development (ICT4D) field has experienced significant shifts. As major international development stakeholders have begun focusing on funding ICT projects, these shifts have widespread implications for how programs develop in the field.More
Subscribe to our stories
- Entrepreneurial Alertness, Innovation Modes, And Business Models in Small- And Medium-Sized Enterprises December 30, 2021
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021
Popular Post-All time
- A review on biomass-based... 1k views
- Can blockchain disrupt ge... 808 views
- Apply Now: $500,000 for Y... 806 views
- Test Your Value Propositi... 759 views
- Prize-winning projects pr... 727 views