Virtual reality as an urban tourism destination marketing tool
January 26, 2020 Editor 0
Although there is a breadth of research demonstrating the effectiveness of virtual reality (VR) as a destination marketing tool, there are limited exploratory studies providing empirical evidence from the perspective of tourism marketers in this specific context. The technological, organisational, environmental (TOE) framework has confirmed explanatory power for studies exploring organisational adoption of various technologies; however, the framework’s association with VR research is limited. Responding to this dual gap, this exploratory study explores both internal and external factors associated with VR adoption from tourism marketers’ perspectives by employing TOE framework as a theoretical base. Interviews were conducted with seven tourism marketers from three urban tourism destinations in the UK. The preliminary study findings indicate that environmental (perceived competitive pressures and global market appeal) factors are positively associated with tourism marketers’ VR adoption, while other TOE factors are not. Finally, theoretical contribution, practical implications and avenues for further research are provided.
- Exploring VR experiences of tourists' attachment to a rural destination
- International R&D Transfer and Technical Efficiency: Evidence from Panel Study Using Stochastic Frontier Analysis
- Long-run effect of international trade on the environment: a Pool Mean Group analysis of ECOWAS countries, 1970-2010
- eGovernment for iReputation
- Does social dimension beat geographic clustering in creating tech innovation ecosystems in cities?
- Top management team advice-seeking and environmental competitiveness impacts on technological innovation
The impact of social media characteristics on e-commerce use behaviour among youth in developing countries Assessing the effects of land uses and water conservation on soil erosion in central Ethiopia
Subscribe to our stories
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020
- SME Innovation: 10 Priorities for Support Post-COVID-19 July 7, 2020