Exploring VR experiences of tourists' attachment to a rural destination
January 26, 2020 Editor 0
In tourism, virtual reality (VR) experience has gained interest. A positive tourist experience might enhance place attachment (PA) which can be described as the emotional bond between people and places. PA research is applied in physical and social environments but studies in a VR context are limited. Therefore, this study aims to explore to what extent VR experience might have an impact on tourists' experience and attachment to a rural destination. For this purpose, semi-structured interviews were conducted at the Lake District National Park. The sample included repeat tourists. Results show great potential of VR to have a positive impact on tourist experience and attachment. 'Presence' and 'Accessibility' have emerged as themes. 'Accessibility' is perceived as new in the context of PA. Thus, this study proposes to consider virtual environments within PA theory. Managerial implications include the use of VR as a tool to increase tourist experience at the destination.
- Can industries take flight in conflict situations?
- What Will You Create to Make the World Awesome?
- Placing your bets: Subsistence or Transformational Entrepreneurship
- Vaal University, Sasol partner in entrepreneurship initiative
- Why Should You Become an Innopreneur?
- In the spotlight: Emerging Markets Entrepreneurs
Sustainable intensification: Is a systems perspective essential for integrated crop-livestock systems? The impact of social media characteristics on e-commerce use behaviour among youth in developing countries
Subscribe to our stories
- Entrepreneurial Alertness, Innovation Modes, And Business Models in Small- And Medium-Sized Enterprises December 30, 2021
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021
Popular Post-All time
- A review on biomass-based... 1k views
- Apply Now: $500,000 for Y... 836 views
- Can blockchain disrupt ge... 817 views
- Test Your Value Propositi... 782 views
- Prize-winning projects pr... 744 views