Can blockchain disrupt gender inequality?
April 24, 2018 Editor 0
Blockchain is the subject of considerable hype, thanks largely to the rise (and fall and rise…) of high profile digital currencies. Beyond this spotlight, development experts and innovators are exploring whether the technology behind cryptocurrencies can be leveraged to advance gender equality.
Blockchain is a distributed ledger technology that facilitates peer-to-peer transactions without using an intermediary. (The technology is also notoriously difficult to follow, but we find this brief video helpful and this talk explains blockchain well, if you have a bit more time.) Put simply, the system is maintained by collaboration, code and sometimes competition. Many experts refer to Google Docs to explain the concept: multiple users can access the same document simultaneously and they can all see the changes. This feature potentially makes it suited for validating records and processing financial transactions in the absence of strong institutions.
- Design and implementation of a smart networking control system for LED lighting based on CAN
- Live Web Event: Promoting your Enterprise Innovation Program – Strategies, Tactics, Actions
- That African name you endlessly shun may be worth millions online
- Africa: Argentina Extends Its Tech Transfer Ties With Africa
- Grants4Targets: an open innovation initiative to foster drug discovery collaborations.
- Classification of supply chain knowledge: a morphological approach
Categories: World Bank PSD
Subscribe to our stories
- Entrepreneurial Alertness, Innovation Modes, And Business Models in Small- And Medium-Sized Enterprises December 30, 2021
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021