Technology showcases in Africa RISING Phase II in Ethiopia
January 25, 2018 Editor 0
During its first phase (2012-2016), the Africa Research in Sustainable Intensification for the Next Generation (Africa RISING) project in the Ethiopian highlands implemented various action-based on-farm research activities that align with the Ethiopian government priorities. A total of 22 action-related protocols alongside 11 explanatory protocols were identified and grouped under seven thematic areas.
- Feed and forage development.
- Field crop varietal selection and management.
- Integration of high-value products into mixed farming system.
- Improved land and water management for sustainability.
- Mixed farming system through more effective crop-livestock system integration
- Cross-cutting problems and opportunities.
- Knowledge management, exchange and capacity development.
A recent report highlights some of the technology showcases that are proposed for scaling up in the second phase of the project which runs from 2017-2021. Unlike the first phase, which was limited to two kebeles in each of the four regions (Amhara, Oromia, Southern Nations, Nationalities, and Peoples’, and Tigray), the second phase is working with partners to reach more beneficiaries.
The report gives a background and description of the technologies, evidence of benefits, alignment with Ethiopia government / United States Agency for International Development (USAID) priorities, the planned partnerships for scaling, proposed beneficiaries and planned activities.
Download the Technology showcases report.
- Expanding use of solar irrigation pumps in Ethiopia
- Africa RISING farming technologies reach 60,000 households in Ethiopia
- Africa RISING partnerships increase scaling out of agricultural technologies in Ethiopia
- Innovation platforms – scaling research findings in Lemo, Ethiopia
- Water management knowledge key in small-scale irrigation development
- Two-wheel (single axle) tractors introduced to power agriculture in the highlands of Ethiopia
Subscribe to our stories
- A regional enterprise to commercialize an integrated technology for waste water treatment and biowaste conversion in eastern Africa May 27, 2018
- Dr Peggy Oti-Boateng May 27, 2018
- Three years in a row: Mauritania continues to excel in its Doing Business performance May 27, 2018
- Africa RISING farming technologies reach 60,000 households in Ethiopia May 27, 2018
- 7 questions to ask before you launch an enterprise blockchain project May 27, 2018