Water management knowledge key in small-scale irrigation development
August 30, 2017 Editor 0
Small-scale irrigation development could positively benefit the intensification of crop-livestock mixed farming systems in the Ethiopian highlands because it improves climate resilience in the rainy season through supplementary irrigation and provides off-season benefits as it enables agricultural production in the dry season. The intensification of production can positively impact household income, nutrition and ultimately livelihoods
This report shares findings from a study by the International Water Management Institute (IWMI) and the Africa RISING program team which evaluated suitable water lifting and on-farm water management technologies for the irrigation of vegetables and fodder in Lemo District, Ethiopia.
Results showed that irrespective of the technology used, crop and water productivity had a high variability among farmers suggesting that water management is an integral part when piloting water lifting technologies. According to the report, it is crucial that water management information is included as a component of the irrigation ‘packages’ offered to farmers when promoting irrigation and best-bet solutions aside from access and advice on best management agricultural practices.
Download the full report.
- The role of trust as mediator between contract, information and knowledge within business incubators
- Managing Innovation Portfolios – Operational Portfolio Management
- The Mobile Innovation Roadshow: the ‘next frontier’ for economic growth in Southern Africa
- Scientists alarmed by rapid spread of Brown Streak Disease in cassava
- Five Tips to Save your Business Model
- Bio-Innovate funded bean consortium working towards increasing productivity, value addition and marketing of the bean crop in eastern Africa
Tags: Water management
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020