Water management knowledge key in small-scale irrigation development
August 30, 2017 Editor 0
Small-scale irrigation development could positively benefit the intensification of crop-livestock mixed farming systems in the Ethiopian highlands because it improves climate resilience in the rainy season through supplementary irrigation and provides off-season benefits as it enables agricultural production in the dry season. The intensification of production can positively impact household income, nutrition and ultimately livelihoods
This report shares findings from a study by the International Water Management Institute (IWMI) and the Africa RISING program team which evaluated suitable water lifting and on-farm water management technologies for the irrigation of vegetables and fodder in Lemo District, Ethiopia.
Results showed that irrespective of the technology used, crop and water productivity had a high variability among farmers suggesting that water management is an integral part when piloting water lifting technologies. According to the report, it is crucial that water management information is included as a component of the irrigation ‘packages’ offered to farmers when promoting irrigation and best-bet solutions aside from access and advice on best management agricultural practices.
Download the full report.
- With what could Professor’s Paul Bran Economic Thinking Help Us Today, in Full Process of Search of New Theories and New Objectives in the Economic and Financial-Monetary Practice and Science?
- Avon, Amway…Africa? Can the direct sales agent model work for health goods?
- Why So Many Emerging Giants Flame Out
- Get Your Degree in M&E Tech with TechChange
- Solar-powered ‘water ATMs’ deliver at the last mile
- ICT4D Routers and a Downloadable Firewall
Tags: Water management
Do Farmers Really Want to be Paid in Mobile Money? Apply Now: $500,000 for Your Big Data Innovations in Agriculture
Subscribe to our stories
- Entrepreneurial Alertness, Innovation Modes, And Business Models in Small- And Medium-Sized Enterprises December 30, 2021
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021
Popular Post-All time
- A review on biomass-based... 1k views
- Can blockchain disrupt ge... 807 views
- Apply Now: $500,000 for Y... 806 views
- Test Your Value Propositi... 759 views
- Prize-winning projects pr... 726 views