Water management knowledge key in small-scale irrigation development
August 30, 2017 Editor 0
Small-scale irrigation development could positively benefit the intensification of crop-livestock mixed farming systems in the Ethiopian highlands because it improves climate resilience in the rainy season through supplementary irrigation and provides off-season benefits as it enables agricultural production in the dry season. The intensification of production can positively impact household income, nutrition and ultimately livelihoods
This report shares findings from a study by the International Water Management Institute (IWMI) and the Africa RISING program team which evaluated suitable water lifting and on-farm water management technologies for the irrigation of vegetables and fodder in Lemo District, Ethiopia.
Results showed that irrespective of the technology used, crop and water productivity had a high variability among farmers suggesting that water management is an integral part when piloting water lifting technologies. According to the report, it is crucial that water management information is included as a component of the irrigation ‘packages’ offered to farmers when promoting irrigation and best-bet solutions aside from access and advice on best management agricultural practices.
Download the full report.
- Tapping into the gaming community in tackling global challenges
- Angola: Impact of Internet On Development of Societies Highlighted
- Innovation Lessons from an Old-Time Enterprise
- Information software new trend for local industry
- The industrial Internet from a startup perspective
- Paynet’s Card Processing Centre to be launched in East Africa this year
Tags: Water management
Subscribe to our stories
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021
- Explicit knowledge networks and their relationship with productivity in SMEs May 30, 2021