Apply Now: $127,000 for African ICT Innovators
July 19, 2017 Editor 0
At ICTworks, we are constantly looking for new funding opportunities for ICT innovators. Sign up to get alerts for new contracts, grants, and award funding.
FIRE Africa Grants and Awards
The Fund for Internet Research and Development (FIRE Africa) has over US$55,000 in grant funding and awards to support projects that use ICT to develop innovative solutions to Africa’s unique needs. FIRE Africa actively encourages Francophone, Lusophone, and female-led projects from African organizations.
Application Deadline: August 1, 2017
The 2017 Grant categories for $10,000 and $12,500 grants are:
- Technical Innovation: Innovative projects that use technical concepts and solutions related to Internet development, security and access. This category includes innovation in materials, devices, standards for software and content and delivery.
- Community Development: Innovative projects that use technical concepts to solve the unique problems faced by communities throughout Africa. Projects should have a specific focus on a particular group or sector of society.
- Governance Enhancement: Innovative projects that address Internet governance and Internet policy issues including privacy, online freedoms, data retention and access.
- Education: Innovative projects that use ICT to solve specific educational issues throughout the region, including bringing access to education to isolated communities and marginalised groups in society, combatting educational professional shortages and innovation on information dissemination.
The 2017 Award categories for $3,000 awards and travel to Switzerland are:
- Internet development: Network operation, accelerating and expanding access, devices, infrastructure, the Internet of Things, IPv6 deployment, security, development of open standards, Internet Governance, and regulations for expanding and accelerating access.
- Internet for social inclusion. Initiatives related to freedom of expression, freedom of association, privacy, security, consumer’s rights, new forms of intellectual property in the digital environment, and a wider range of issues related to Internet and human rights.
- ICT for Development. ICT for community development and poverty reduction. New uses of ICT in the health, education, industry, environment, agriculture, and other sectors.
Africa Prize for Engineering Innovation
The Africa Prize encourages ambitious and talented sub-Saharan African engineers from all disciplines to apply their skills to develop scalable solutions to local challenges, highlighting the importance of engineering as an enabler of improved quality of life and economic development.
Qualified applicants must be individuals or small groups from sub-Saharan Africa with a letter of support from a university of research institution and working on a new product, technology or service, based on research in agricultural technology, biotechnology, computer science, electrical and electronic engineering, ICT, and other engineering fields.
Application Deadline: July 24, 2017
Crucial commercialisation support is awarded to a shortlist of innovative applicants through a six-month period of training and mentoring. Following this period of mentorship, finalists are invited to present at an event held in Africa and a winner is selected to receive £25,000 along with runners-up, who are each awarded £10,000.
Sign up to get alerts for more funding opportunities!
Go to SourceReprinted from ICTWorks
- Surprise! Guess Which Country is 2nd for Mobile Money Globally?
- Measuring and reporting intellectual capital: Lessons learnt from some interventionist research projects
- Nigeria: ‘No Development Without Science, Technology’
- Open Services Innovation: A Review
- BTP—Best Transfer Practices. A tool for qualitative analysis of tech-transfer offices: A cross cultural analysis
- Africa’s music industry grows to its own beat
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020