Mapping Morocco’s green entrepreneurship ecosystem
July 18, 2017 Editor 0Also available in: Français
A World Bank Group team set out to answer the questions: Who are Moroccan green entrepreneurs, and what is the entrepreneurial landscape they operate in? They found that:
- Almost half of surveyed Moroccan green entrepreneur businesses are solo-run.
- 84 percent of surveyed entrepreneurs were self-funded at the early-stages.
- 54 percent of entrepreneurs identified a lack of access to market information as the biggest barrier to doing business in Morocco.
Those are just a few findings from their work on the first World Bank Group climate entrepreneurship ecosystem diagnostic in Morocco, a deep dive into the North African nation’s green start-up ecosystem.
The diagnostic, surveying more than 300 entrepreneurs and industry players, shines unprecedented insight into multiple facets of Morocco’s climate entrepreneurship ecosystem, and how different political, financial, and cultural forces play out to drive the sector.
In a highly visual format, a new report explores the top findings from the diagnostic, bolstering them with case studies, key facts, and graphics. The report uncovers interesting clues to Morocco’s strengths and challenges: Typical Moroccan green entrepreneurs are young, educated, and started their businesses because they wanted to be their own boss. These entrepreneurs work in diverse sectors — from green information technology to energy efficiency — and are creating and adapting technologies and solutions to solve some of Morocco’s greatest environmental challenges.
- Innovative ICT-mediated activities for people, profit and planet
- Clean/Green Technology in Africa: Setting the Stage
- Green energy requires an investment in chemistry
- Strategic analysis of knowledge firms: the links between knowledge management and leadership
- Social entrepreneurship: an emerging market perspective, some fresh evidence from Ghana
- Nigeria: Biotechnology Will Help Improve Yield Varieties – Kebbi Varsity VC
Categories: World Bank PSD
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020