Rural Women Diplomats – Mediation of a longstanding conflict in the Volta River Basin
March 16, 2017 Editor 0
Women washing clothes and cattle drinking at a village pond (photo credit: ILRI/Stevie Mann)
What role do women in rural settings play in resolving potential conflicts around the use and benefits of land and water? A newly published study highlights the role of women in fostering constructive dialogue about water use among different beneficiaries.
The study conducted by Augustine Ayantunde of the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI), in partnership with the International Water Management Institute (IWMI) emphasizes why it is important for scientists working on smallholder farming systems to get beyond simplistic notions on gender relations, which sometimes give rise to misunderstandings about rural women’s roles and responsibilities.
Read the rest of this blog post originally published on the Thrive blog of the CGIAR research program on Water Land and Ecosystems.
- Commercializing public research: One of the core subjects of the Innovation Policy Platform
- Kenya: Innovation Protects Livestock From Tsetse Fly
- What you need to know about Africa RISING farm typology work
- Mercy Corps partnership ushers in the mobile age for rural Filipino farmers
- Bio-Innovate-funded bean consortium project working towards increasing productivity, value addition, and marketing of the bean crop in eastern Africa
- Nanotechnology in agriculture: prospects and constraints.
Tags: Volta River
Subscribe to our stories
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021
- Explicit knowledge networks and their relationship with productivity in SMEs May 30, 2021