Using a value chain approach to focus animal genetic interventions
February 18, 2017 Editor 0
In late 2016, the CGIAR Research Program on Livestock and Fish produced several synthesis products, including a series of briefs on livestock genetics work carried out between 2012 and 2016.
Genetic interventions in livestock populations are generally long term, resulting in changes in the characteristics of the production unit, the animal. In the process, trade-offs between breeding for production and resource-use efficiency, fertility, resilience and the environmental impact of the target livestock or fish species are important in order to improve performance while taking into account genotype by environment interactions.
Information generated by analyzing product value chains helps identify intervention nodes to achieve improved productivity under specific environments. With the livelihoods of livestock-keeping communities at the core, income and equity issues cannot be ignored. Interventions also need to take into account the constraints faced by livestock keepers given their existing asset base.
Using a value chain analysis framework, the Livestock and Fish CGIAR Research Program piloted integrated genetic interventions to catalyse the transformation of milk, meat and fish production in selected developing countries. This brief presents some outcomes and lessons from applying a value chain approach to dairy production in three East African countries of Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania, and fish production in Egypt.
Ojango, J., Tegegne, A., Mwai, O., Rege, E., Ouma, R. and Benzie, J. 2016. Using a value chain approach to focus animal genetic interventions. Livestock and Fish Brief 13. Nairobi: ILRI
- Chancellor Proposes Strategic Mak-UNISA Partnership at 6th SARChI
- A Growing Network of Global Health Innovators
- An Investigation of the Four Dimensions of Innovation in Small Scale Firms in Lagos State, Nigeria
- Mapping micro small and medium enterprises from the resource-based view and dynamic capability theory perspectives and innovation classification
- Africa’s music industry grows to its own beat
- Device that recycles vaporized water from power plants wins MIT $100K
Tags: value chain approach
Subscribe to our stories
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021
- Explicit knowledge networks and their relationship with productivity in SMEs May 30, 2021