Livestock markets, animal source foods and human nutrition: Considering program tensions, maximizing impact and avoiding harm
October 11, 2016 Editor 0
Land O’Lakes International Development and the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) will host a one-day in-person event in Washington DC that addresses the programmatic and operational challenges of increasing consumption of ASF in rural and producer households through market development initiatives.
Date: Monday 17 October 2016
Venue: National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, 50 F Street, NW, Washington, DC 20001
Time: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM (Registration begins at 8:30 AM)
Seating is limited. To attend, please RSVP: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/livestock-and-household-nutrition-learning-series-one-day-seminar-tickets-27929607207
While donors and implementing agencies continue to promote economic gains though market-led livestock programs, less is known regarding how these programs can maximize the potential for ASF to improve nutrition and health in producer households and rural communities while also contributing to sustainable and nutritious food systems.
During this event we will unpack livestock pathways and the multiple functions these serve in household food, livelihoods, resilience, and cultural systems – and what these mean for economic and nutrition goals and considering the tension between developing livestock markets and meeting nutritional needs of producer households.
Bringing together leaders from public, private and research institutions, we will be exploring private-sector led investments in nutrition behavior change communication and targeted marketing and investigate how markets influence food safety, quality, nutrition, and health for the poor while simultaneously maintaining equitable access to ASF and avoiding harm in livestock programs.
- The changing face of entrepreneurship
- Understanding The edTech Ecosystem in Kenya – Wireless Wednesday Recap
- Ramesh Sawant: Story of an Entrepreneur’s Journey without the Map1
- When You’re Innovating, Resist Looking for Solutions
- Invest in women to improve economy, conference hears
- A nonlinear relationship between unemployment and human capital – evidence from African countries
Tags: animal source foods
Subscribe to our stories
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021
- Explicit knowledge networks and their relationship with productivity in SMEs May 30, 2021