Tropentag workshop: Empowering livestock and fish smallholders through multi-stakeholder platforms and value chains
September 7, 2016 Editor 0
On 19 September 2016, ’empowering livestock and fish smallholders through multi-stakeholder platforms and value chains’ is the focus of a Livestock and Fish research program workshop at the Tropentag 2016 conference.
Guided by the Tropentag theme ‘Solidarity in a competing world’, the workshop will synthesize experiences and lessons of the program and its partners, focusing on food security, livelihoods and empowerment towards a fairer, more sustainable world.
Since 2012, CGIAR Livestock and Fish program partners have worked in a solution-driven approach to agricultural research for development. This combines technical upstream interventions in animal health, animal feeding and animal genetics with multi-stakeholder interventions with communities and along value chains. Special attention is given to inclusive value chain development, by and for the poor, targeting women and people facing environmental and public health issues.
Drawing on experiences from several ‘value chain’ countries as well as livestock and fish technical specialists, the workshop aims to critically examine the novel model for agricultural research for development AR4D) that the program tested, drawing tentative lessons to improve the model and recommendations for AR4D more generally.
Participants, who do not need to be livestock or fish specialists, will be able to interrogate and challenge the approach in relation to their own experience, directly interacting with researchers who implemented the model and influencing future work of the institutions involved.
- Africa: The Rise of Video on Demand Platforms in Africa
- SA moves to use titanium-ores platform to build new high-tech industry
- Solar Now, Water Later
- Open versus closed new service development: The influences of project novelty
- The Planning Fallacy and the Innovator’s Dilemma
- Six tips to balance the gender scale in start-up programs
Tags: fish smallholders
Subscribe to our stories
- Entrepreneurial Alertness, Innovation Modes, And Business Models in Small- And Medium-Sized Enterprises December 30, 2021
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021