AGRF session on transforming dairy value chains in Africa: Pathways to prosperity
September 7, 2016 Editor 0
On 8 September 2016, the International Livestock Research Institute and partners hold a working session at the 2016 African Green Revolution Forum on transforming dairy value chains in Africa: Pathways to prosperity.
Speakers from ILRI, GALVmed, Land O’Lakes and Kenya’s Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries will be tackling two main questions:
- What are some of the promising approaches used to help smallholder dairy farmers and other value chain actors become more prosperous?
- What are the some of the most promising lessons learned from dairy value chain transformation and productivity improvement that can be shared across the continent?
The session starts with a brief orientation on dairying and development prosperity by Jimmy W. Smith, Director General, International Livestock Research Institute. His remarks will be given a Kenyan focus by Andrew K. Tuimur, Permanent Secretary in the Kenyan Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries.
The focus then shifts to lessons and experiences transforming dairy value chains. Isabelle Baltenweck (ILRI) provides an overview of models and results; ILRI Tanzania dairy value chain project leader Amos Omore introduces experiences with hubs and platforms; Carmen Jaquez (Land O’Lakes) reports cooperative models from Southern Africa; and Abdallah Twahir (GALVmed) explains ways to deliver animal health services to empower dairy value chains.
An open session with the audience will be followed by a summary of key messages by Jimmy Smith and Andrew Tuimur.
- Just how much gender capacity exists in Africa RISING?
- Ghana opens space research centre
- The Science of Social Impact Innovation: How to Deliver More Impact through Innovative Business Models
- Kenya: Delegates Attend Samsung-Sponsored Smart Government Summit
- The Best (and Worst) Countries to Be a Woman
- Every Single Presentation from CRS’ 5th ICT4D Conference Now Available Online
Tropentag workshop: Empowering livestock and fish smallholders through multi-stakeholder platforms and value chains Investigation of solar hybrid system with concentrating Fresnel lens, photovoltaic and thermoelectric generators
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020