Invitation to join an online discussion on cattle genomics in Africa, 16-26 August 2016
August 18, 2016 Editor 0
There are over 200 million poor livestock keepers in Sub-Saharan Africa, many of which are looking to improve their livestock productivity. Genetic improvement strategies – particularly when packaged with other interventions on animal feed and health – offers great potential.
The use of genomics in Africa is in early stages, and further discussions are required on where and how genomics can best contribute to broader livestock productivity goals.
From 16-26 August 2016, ILRI and CTLGH will organize a virtual forum on cattle genomics in Africa to take this agenda forward.
Discussions will focus on:
- Current and future applications of genomics to cattle in Africa – in particular, which applications are likely to make a difference to poor livestock keepers and animal source food consumers, and what capacities and resources are required to achieve this.
- How to create a genomic information resource on African cattle – a publicly-available set of sequence information on cattle breeds in Africa, and which breeds to prioritize for this.
You can register in advance or just participate during the forum at this website: http://cattle-genomix.net
Further details are given in the attached flyer; Please share this information with colleagues.
Contact for more information: Karen Marshall
- Meet Your New R&D Team: Social Entrepreneurs
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation
- Samsung Note 3 And Galaxy Gear Launched in South Africa
- Comparisons and Lessons from the Kenyan and Jordanian Startup Ecosystems
- Domain Specificity and the Limits of Creativity Theory
- It is High Noon for Netbooks
Subscribe to our stories
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021
- Explicit knowledge networks and their relationship with productivity in SMEs May 30, 2021