Invitation to join an online discussion on cattle genomics in Africa, 16-26 August 2016
August 18, 2016 Editor 0
There are over 200 million poor livestock keepers in Sub-Saharan Africa, many of which are looking to improve their livestock productivity. Genetic improvement strategies – particularly when packaged with other interventions on animal feed and health – offers great potential.
The use of genomics in Africa is in early stages, and further discussions are required on where and how genomics can best contribute to broader livestock productivity goals.
From 16-26 August 2016, ILRI and CTLGH will organize a virtual forum on cattle genomics in Africa to take this agenda forward.
Discussions will focus on:
- Current and future applications of genomics to cattle in Africa – in particular, which applications are likely to make a difference to poor livestock keepers and animal source food consumers, and what capacities and resources are required to achieve this.
- How to create a genomic information resource on African cattle – a publicly-available set of sequence information on cattle breeds in Africa, and which breeds to prioritize for this.
You can register in advance or just participate during the forum at this website: http://cattle-genomix.net
Further details are given in the attached flyer; Please share this information with colleagues.
Contact for more information: Karen Marshall
- Developing self-facilitating learning networks for entrepreneurs: a guide to action
- Sumbandila provided lessons for next SA satellite
- Prevention of child marriage and teenage pregnancy in Africa: need for more research and innovation.
- Harvard Development Expert: Agricultural Innovation Offers Path to Overcome Hunger
- Entrepreneurial orientation, market orientation and internationalisation in born global small and micro-businesses
- The Ethiopian Approach to Food Security (Blog)
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020