Prioritizing climate-smart livestock interventions in Africa
June 21, 2016 Editor 0
Around the world, there is a pressing need for wide-scale innovation leading to development that improves the livelihoods and food security of the world’s population while at the same time addressing climate change adaptation and mitigation. While there are various promising climate-smart interventions, prioritizing them is a challenge.
In this paper, the authors provide a generic framework for evaluating and prioritizing potential interventions comprising the mapping of recommendation domains, assessing adoption potential and estimating impacts. Through examples related to livestock production in sub-Saharan Africa, they demonstrate each of the steps and how they are interlinked. The framework is applicable in many different forms, scales and settings. It has a wide applicability in planning for climate-smart agriculture, which invariably involves multi-stakeholder, multi-scale and multi-objective decision-making.
Notenbaert, An., Pfeifer, Catherine., Silvestri, Silvia and Herrero, Mario. 2016. Targeting, out-scaling and prioritising climate-smart interventions in agricultural systems: Lessons from applying a generic framework to the livestock sector in sub-Saharan Africa. Agricultural Systems. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.agsy.2016.05.017
The article resulted from the CLEANED project to develop a ‘Comprehensive Livestock Environment Assessment for Improved Nutrition, a Secured Environment and Sustainable Development along Livestock Value Chains.’ The project was financed by the Bill & Melinda gates Foundation.
- More than a trend: Africa is becoming better by the year at reforming its business environment
- Next generation of Africa’s agricultural researchers RISING
- Developing a clean seed system for sweetpotato and cassava: A Bio-Innovate Program initiative
- Ten African innovators vie for $100 000 award
- The African Rural University for Women, Uganda
- Tech hubs across Africa: Which will be the legacy-makers?
Subscribe to our stories
- Entrepreneurial Alertness, Innovation Modes, And Business Models in Small- And Medium-Sized Enterprises December 30, 2021
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021