Prioritizing climate-smart livestock interventions in Africa
June 21, 2016 Editor 0
Around the world, there is a pressing need for wide-scale innovation leading to development that improves the livelihoods and food security of the world’s population while at the same time addressing climate change adaptation and mitigation. While there are various promising climate-smart interventions, prioritizing them is a challenge.
In this paper, the authors provide a generic framework for evaluating and prioritizing potential interventions comprising the mapping of recommendation domains, assessing adoption potential and estimating impacts. Through examples related to livestock production in sub-Saharan Africa, they demonstrate each of the steps and how they are interlinked. The framework is applicable in many different forms, scales and settings. It has a wide applicability in planning for climate-smart agriculture, which invariably involves multi-stakeholder, multi-scale and multi-objective decision-making.
Notenbaert, An., Pfeifer, Catherine., Silvestri, Silvia and Herrero, Mario. 2016. Targeting, out-scaling and prioritising climate-smart interventions in agricultural systems: Lessons from applying a generic framework to the livestock sector in sub-Saharan Africa. Agricultural Systems. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.agsy.2016.05.017
The article resulted from the CLEANED project to develop a ‘Comprehensive Livestock Environment Assessment for Improved Nutrition, a Secured Environment and Sustainable Development along Livestock Value Chains.’ The project was financed by the Bill & Melinda gates Foundation.
- Innovation Key to Unlocking Africa’s Horticultural Potential
- Africa Must Wake Up to the Reality That Hunger is Now a National Security Issue
- Developing a clean seed system for sweetpotato and cassava: A Bio-Innovate Program initiative
- Outgrower Systems Hold Promise for Smallholder African Farmers
- Agroforestry systems can repair degraded watersheds
- The African Rural University for Women, Uganda
Subscribe to our stories
- In pictures: the 2019 Africa RISING Tanzania monitoring visit August 30, 2019
- Active Internationalization of Software Enterprises: Scale Development and Validation August 30, 2019
- The Manager’s Guide to Leveraging Disruption August 30, 2019
- Key take-aways from a recent Africa RISING exchange visit in Ghana August 30, 2019
- Device that recycles vaporized water from power plants wins MIT $100K May 28, 2019