Multidimensional crop improvement research on grain legumes in Ethiopia
June 10, 2016 Editor 0
The Livestock and Fish program joined the Africa RISING project in supporting these theses.
Three Ethiopian MSc. students, who contributed to ICARDA’s research on multidimensional improvement of grain legumes recently graduated from Ethiopian Universities. Tena Alemu and Asemahegn Mersha graduated from Hawassa University under joint supervision of Jane Wamatu (ICARDA), Adugna Tolera and Mohammed Beyan. Teklu Wegi graduated from Haramaya University under joint supervision of Jane Wamatu, Adugna Tolera and Getachew Animut. The USAID-funded Africa RISING project and the Livestock and Fish CGIAR program jointly supported Tena and Asemahegn while Teklu was entirely supported by Africa RISING.
The students have unlocked key trends and trait relationships across grain legume crops that can inform and further guide crop improvement.
Asemahegn, who evaluated the cultivar-dependent variation in food-feed traits in lentil (Lens culinaris), determined that there are significant genotypic and location variations for grain yield and straw traits in lentil and GL has significant effects. Correlations between grain and straw yields are positive, moderate…
View original post 263 more words
- Tanzania: Simbanet Deploys GPON Fibre Technology in Dar es Salaam
- Marketing Is Dead
- Why a unified database of mobile users could mean an economic boom in Africa
- Uganda: Promoting Digital Broadcasting
- Photosynthetic innovation broadens the niche within a single species.
- SA soon to be part of giant European particle collider computer network
Subscribe to our stories
- Entrepreneurial Alertness, Innovation Modes, And Business Models in Small- And Medium-Sized Enterprises December 30, 2021
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021