Marcelo Coelho and Colin Raney on 3D printing and the digital manufacturing revolution
November 18, 2015 Editor 0
Subscribe to the O’Reilly Solid Podcast for insight and analysis about the Internet of Things and the worlds of hardware, software, and manufacturing.
Coelho and Raney worked with Cranor on the Pop-up Factory, a production line that manufactured connected devices on the floor of the Solid 2015 conference. The four of us reviewed the process of spinning up the factory (which took just two months from beginning to end), and the impact of live fabrication on attendees at the conference.
- Manufacturing as a creative process, and as an input for designers
- How 3D printing reduces iteration time and enables design and production to occur simultaneously
- Manufacturing as deployment
- Why the Pop-up Factory is analogous to the Hollywood model of film production
Links from the episode:
- The Pop-up Factory keynote panel at Solid 2015
- The Alike band, developed by Marcelo’s studio and distributed at the conference
- Seeed Studio’s RePhone modular phone
- Proto Labs, which made injection-molded parts for the Alike bands (hear our interview with Proto Labs’ Robert Bodor here)
Image by Zephyris on Wikimedia Commons.
- 3D PRINTING IN DRUG DELIVERY FORMULATION: YOU CAN DREAM IT, DESIGN IT AND PRINT IT. HOW ABOUT PATENT IT?
- Get Certified in 3D Printing for Social Good with TechChange
- How is UX for IoT different?
- Please RSVP Now: Is 3D Printing a Relevant Technology for Development?
- What’s the implication of 3D printers for the World Bank’s mission?
- 3D printing community rallies to create $5 hand for kid
Tags: 3D printing
Subscribe to our stories
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021
- Explicit knowledge networks and their relationship with productivity in SMEs May 30, 2021