Why are payment services essential for financial inclusion?
November 16, 2015 Editor 0
Joint Development Bank’s ATM, Lao PDR. IFC Photo Collection
While some 700 million people have gained access to a transaction account between 2011 and 2014, there are still about 2 billion adults in the world who lack access to transaction accounts offered by regulated and/or authorized financial service providers. The increased role that non-banks play in financial services, particularly in the payments area, has contributed to making them available and useful to many people who were previously locked out of the financial system.
There is broad recognition that financial inclusion can help people get out of poverty as it can help them better manage their finances. Access to a transaction account is the first step in that direction. A transaction account allows people to take advantage of different (electronic) ways to send or receive payments, and it can serve as a gateway to other financial products, such as credit, saving and insurance.
Payment services are usually the first and typically most often used financial service. Understanding how payment aspects can affect financial inclusion efforts is important not only for the Committee of Payments and Market Infrastructures (CPMI) of the Bank for International Settlements and the World Bank Group, but for all stakeholders with interest in increasing financial access and broader financial inclusion.
- Key lessons for policymakers from China’s financial inclusion experience
- Leveraging ‘suptech’ for financial inclusion in Rwanda
- Can ‘fintech’ innovations impact financial inclusion in developing countries?
- Championing interoperability for financial inclusion: carrot or stick?
- New G20 White Paper explores the fast-evolving role of standard-setting bodies for financial inclusion
- Unlocking innovation in the Middle East through financial inclusion
Categories: World Bank PSD
Tags: financial inclusion
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020