Africa RISING technologies offer Ghana farmers opportunity to earn three times more
September 30, 2015 Editor 0
Results from an indicative cost-benefit-analysis of use of Africa RISING technologies in northern Ghana show that farmers are getting more economic returns from adopting the project’s technologies.
For instance, the mean benefit-cost ratio (BCR) for the technologies is 4.2 indicating that the farmers earned three times more (300%), over and above their total expenditures when using technologies by Africa RISING.
The results also show that the mean returns to labour when a farmer adopts these technologies is GHC 49.1 (USD 12.4)/person day compared to the average daily wage rate of GHC 5.4 /per day in the project research zones. This means that Africa RISING technologies on average can generate a daily net return to labour nine times greater than what a farmer can earn in a day if they are involved in casual work in the project intervention areas.
Crop diversification technologies, soil fertility management and pest management practices were some of the technology categories reviewed during the cost benefit analysis. It appears that crop diversification technologies are of higher returns than the other two categories.
Furthermore the analysis showed that profits are more sensitive to changes in output prices than to changes in input prices and wages. This implies that that the adoption of the technologies is most affected by policy interventions that affect output prices.
- Be a Data Visualization Expert with TechChange’s Online Diploma Program
- Pharmacogenomics of Rosuvastatin: A Glocal (Global+Local) African Perspective and Expert Review on a Statin Drug.
- You Don’t Know Where Your Company’s Going
- Leading Innovation in Multinational Subsidiaries – Part 3
- OpenStack Foundation launches
- Predicting loan repayment default among second tier borrowers in Ghana
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020