Managing complexity in distributed systems
September 7, 2015 Editor 0
Subscribe to the O’Reilly Radar Podcast to track the technologies and people that will shape our world in the years to come.
In this week’s episode, O’Reilly’s Mac Slocum talks to Astrid Atkinson, director of software engineering at Google, about the delicate balance of managing complexity in distributed systems and her experience working on-call rotations at Google.
Here are a few snippets from their chat:
I think it’s often really hard for organizations that are scaling quickly to find time to manage complexity in their systems. That can be really a trap, because if you’re really always just focused on the next deadline or whatever, and never planning for what you’re going to live with when you’re done, then you might never find the time.
You can only optimize what you pay attention to, and so if you can’t see what your system is doing, if you can’t see whether it’s working, it’s not working.
I used to get paged awake at two in the morning. You go from zero to Google is down. That’s a lot to wake up to.
The compute management space is really interesting because it’s sort of one of the fundamental shifts in the way that computing works — when you get away from managing an OS, managing machine, managing a BIOS, managing the hardware, to where it’s just managing the thing that you want to do with it. It’s profoundly empowering.
Also in this podcast…
In the second segment, Slocum talks to Kelsey Hightower, developer advocate & toolsmith at CoreOS. Hightower talks about the state of distributed computing and managing programming language dependencies.
Public domain image on article and category pages via Wikimedia Commons.
- Can Your Tech Idea Change the World? Submit it to the USAID / Humanity United Tech Challenge for Atrocity Prevention
- New generation digital time switches for ideal control
- Effective healthcare management in India – the role of knowledge management
- Achieve Product-Market Fit with our Brand-New Value Proposition Designer
- How Pearson Is Reinventing Global Education
- The dollars are in the detail
Subscribe to our stories
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021
- Explicit knowledge networks and their relationship with productivity in SMEs May 30, 2021