A strategic framework for transgenic research and product development in Africa
August 28, 2015 Editor 0
Since the first transgenic crop was released in in the world in 1994, cultivation of several varieties has grown rapidly to reach 175 million hectares, more than 10% of the world’s arable land, in 27 countries. Adoption and commercialization of transgenic products is growing by 3% per year in developed and developing countries.
There is ample evidence that application of transgenic products significantly increases crop productivity and food nutrition and provides higher net financial and environmental benefits.
In 2014, the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) and partners commissioned a report to analyze the current capacity for #transgenic research in CGIAR centres and National Agricultural Research Systems (NARS) in a sample of countries in Africa.
Th report includes the policy and regulatory situation, donor perspectives on transgenic research, and the implications for research for development as a basis for a strategic framework for transgenic research and product development by the CGIAR centres and partners in Africa.
The report and brief were supported by the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI), the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT), the International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT), the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA), the International Potato Center (CIP), and the Africa Rice Center.
- Avon in Uganda? How microfranchises create small, low-risk jobs
- Better knowledge for better innovation policies: the new Innovation Policy Platform
- Voices of Africa: Human Capital & Development
- Africa: Gaming Platforms Gaining Ground in Africa
- Nigeria: Wike Urges Stakeholders to Exploit Opportunities in ICT to Develop Education
- Entrepreneurial Alertness, Innovation Modes, And Business Models in Small- And Medium-Sized Enterprises
Tags: transgenic research
Subscribe to our stories
- Entrepreneurial Alertness, Innovation Modes, And Business Models in Small- And Medium-Sized Enterprises December 30, 2021
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021