A strategic framework for transgenic research and product development in Africa
August 28, 2015 Editor 0
Since the first transgenic crop was released in in the world in 1994, cultivation of several varieties has grown rapidly to reach 175 million hectares, more than 10% of the world’s arable land, in 27 countries. Adoption and commercialization of transgenic products is growing by 3% per year in developed and developing countries.
There is ample evidence that application of transgenic products significantly increases crop productivity and food nutrition and provides higher net financial and environmental benefits.
In 2014, the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) and partners commissioned a report to analyze the current capacity for #transgenic research in CGIAR centres and National Agricultural Research Systems (NARS) in a sample of countries in Africa.
Th report includes the policy and regulatory situation, donor perspectives on transgenic research, and the implications for research for development as a basis for a strategic framework for transgenic research and product development by the CGIAR centres and partners in Africa.
The report and brief were supported by the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI), the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT), the International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT), the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA), the International Potato Center (CIP), and the Africa Rice Center.
- The Formative Years of Gbenga Sesan: Nigerian ICT Legend
- Healthcare organisations innovation management systems: implications for hospitals, primary care providers and community health practitioners
- Scientists unlock secret of cattle ticks’ resistance to pesticide
- African Diaspora Key to the Continent’s Development: World Bank
- Partnerships pay off for Uganda value chain project
- iHub Research in 2013
Tags: transgenic research
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020