Measuring sustainable intensification in smallholder agroecosystems: A review
July 23, 2015 Editor 0
In the sustainable intensification (SI) of smallholder agroecosystems, researchers and farmers collaborate to produce more food on land currently in cultivation, secure wellbeing in the present day, and bolster ecosystem services to sustain agricultural productivity into the future.
In recent years there has been debate in the SI literature about the meaning and boundaries of SI, accompanied by calls for clearly defined metrics to evaluate SI efforts.
In this review, Alex Smith, Peter Thorne and Sieglinde Snapp present the current state of the literature in regards to SI metrics.
The authors first survey the literature to identify key concepts and qualities associated with SI (referred to as SI indicators). then they briefly discuss indicators that have been sources of contention in the SI literature, and highlight tradeoffs between certain SI indicators.
The bulk of the review focuses on identifying measurable properties (referred to as SI metrics) associated with each SI indicator. They also identify metrics of broader system-level properties such as sustainability and intensification. They conclude by highlighting gaps in the current literature on SI metrics.
Read the full report: http://hdl.handle.net/10568/67181
- What sustainable intensification of mixed farming systems looks like in Ethiopia–case of the Africa RISING project
- From the laboratory to the field: How Bio-Innovate supported consortium 2 project activities is creating a sustainable potato seed delivery system in Rwanda
- Sustainable breeding strategies for Red Maasai sheep in Kenya
- Innovation for Sustainable Intensification in Africa
- Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Collaborative Research on SI publishes new sustainable intensification assessment framework
- Africa RISING Ethiopia reviews progress and plans for 2016 and beyond
Subscribe to our stories
- Prize-winning projects promote healthier eating, smarter crop investments June 28, 2018
- Reliable energy for all June 28, 2018
- Making marble from bottles: plastic waste’s second life in Kenya June 28, 2018
- A regional enterprise to commercialize an integrated technology for waste water treatment and biowaste conversion in eastern Africa May 27, 2018
- Dr Peggy Oti-Boateng May 27, 2018