Waste to liquid fuels: potency, progress and challenges
June 19, 2015 Editor 0
The valorization of municipal solid waste (MSW) into liquid fuels is a multi-beneficial global option for ensuring environmental and energy sustainability. The paper critically reviewed a wide range of recent literature on the potency, progress, and challenges associated with MSW upgrading into liquid fuels. Concise details on the various upgrading technologies involved such as gasification, pyrolysis, and syngas-to-fuels (i.e., syngas to gasoline and diesel) via a Fischer–Tropsch process were documented. Emphasis was critically given to the recent literature updates. The paper explored the role of heterogeneous catalyst systems in achieving the various processes with special considerations for optimizing fuel yield. Prospective technologies such as plasma gasification and nanoscale catalyst design with potentials to revolutionize the industry were also discussed. Copyright © 2015 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Waste upgrading into liquid fuels (i.e. gasoline and diesel) presents an important opportunity for handling numerous waste management challenges and ensuring global energy sustainability. The paper documented recent literature on the various processes involved, including the role of heterogeneous catalysts during upgrading. Waste gasification and the Fischer Tropsch process are the main areas extensively investigated. Plasma gasification and a nanocatalyst design are prospective areas for industrial consideration.
- Tomorrow’s fill-up could come from plastic waste
- Sludge power: Wastewater plants could become energy producers
- Waste Not, Want Not: Eco-Fuel Africa
- Finding Value in Waste
- On Opposite Continents, 2 Individuals Turning Waste Into Wealth
- Energy-efficient routing for wireless sensor network using genetic algorithm and particle swarm optimisation techniques
Subscribe to our stories
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021
- Explicit knowledge networks and their relationship with productivity in SMEs May 30, 2021