What Should We Be Teaching ICT4D Students?
June 16, 2015 Editor 0
Every year, waves of excited young professionals graduate with university degrees in international development and become our colleagues and co-workers. I would love to have your thoughts on two questions about them:
- What should new development professionals know about ICT4D?
- What do you wish you knew about ICT4D when you started?
I ask these two questions because this fall, I am honored to be co-teaching an ICT4D class at John Hopkins University’s School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS) with Patty Mechael. She and I will be building on the ICT4D course she and Matt Berg pioneered at Columbia University’s School of International and Public Affairs (SIPA).
And while James Bontempo might argue that new college graduates are already inherently experts in ICT4D, growing up as digital natives, I believe we still need to be teaching core ICT4D principles. Patty and I are building our course around the Principles of Digital Development, with a class on each of the principles. We’ll be bringing in guest speakers to talk about each principle, and have class assignments around them.
[ad name=”Inno300x250″]We’ll also have demo days with new technology tools and require students to write a proposal based on a real RFP that will need to include a technology component. We are finalizing the curriculum now, and we have one final question for you:
- What books, publications, websites, and blogs should we have students read?
Anything else we should be doing? Please let us know your thoughts in the comments. Thanks!
Go to SourceReprinted from ICTWorks
- Microloans: Not just for businesses, they can help the poor meet basic needs
- In design, what we really need is critical thinking
- Tackling the menace of poverty by capacity building: case-based evidence on multi-sectoral partnerships in India
- Private sector engagement is key to success on gender equity
- South Africa: Apple Pay, Google Wallet At Mercy of SA Banks
- Intuition Isn’t Just about Trusting your Gut
Subscribe to our stories
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021
- Explicit knowledge networks and their relationship with productivity in SMEs May 30, 2021