Hierarchical reactive power regulation strategies for high-penetration photovoltaic distribution systems
June 12, 2015 Editor 0
This paper proposes a hierarchical reactive power regulation system for distribution systems with photovoltaics (PV) connected. The proposed approach includes both central control level and local control level for decisions involving optimal reactive power compensation and dynamic control of reactive power regulation, respectively. Through local control level, based on the PV inverter controllers and central control level compensation command, the overvoltage and voltage variation problems can be highly relieved. In addition to possible reductions in PV generation curtailment, the grid voltage can also be well regulated with minimal line loss via the proposed PV system operation strategies. Accordingly, added value for PV systems is created, conferring win-win solutions for both PV system owners and utilities. Numerical results tested on a practical Taipower company distribution system verified the proposed approach. Copyright © 2015 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
The proposed hierarchical control strategies include central control level (CCL) and local control level to obtain optimal operation point and deal with dynamic problems, respectively. A comprehensive optimization algorithm is proposed for CCL. The photovoltaics static compensator dynamic model and control algorithms coordinated with the CCL are proposed as the local control level. The photovoltaics power curtailment to relive the overvoltage can be greatly reduced without any additional energy storage system. The voltage deviation, line loss, and CO2 emission are also decreased.
- Pursuing adoption of free and open source software in governments
- Institutional entrepreneurship in the Ethiopian coffee industry
- Capturing the Innovation Mindset at Bally Technologies
- Not just technology dissemination: the multiple dimensions of scaling initiatives of Africa RISING in sustainable intensification
- Rwanda: Rwanda and the World Bank Host Africa Forum On Higher Education for Science, Technology and Innovation
- How to Pick the Right Idea?
Subscribe to our stories
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021
- Explicit knowledge networks and their relationship with productivity in SMEs May 30, 2021