Please RSVP Now for ICT4D Principle 8: Address Privacy & Security in Development Programs
April 16, 2015 Editor 0
In recent years, ICTs such as mobile phone apps, web-based mapping technologies and data-mining techniques have been incorporated into development programmes, ranging from public health campaigns to assisting farming communities, to re-uniting refugees. However, the opportunities presented by these innovations simultaneously raise valid concerns about privacy and data security.
In this context, Principle 8 of the Principles for Digital Development proposes ICT4D programmes:
- Assess and mitigate risks to the security of users and their data,
- Consider the context and needs for privacy of personal data when designing solutions,
- Ensure equity and fairness in co-creation,
- And protect the best interests of the end-users.
Please RSVP now to join UN Global Pulse and your learned peers for an in-person event to discuss practical measures to incorporate privacy and security as outlined in Principle 8 into the design of any technology-enabled development programme, guided by practical experience of privacy and security experts.
We will be seeking answers to questions like:
- What does data privacy or security mean in the context of a technology-enabled development program?
- How can we manage risk when designing big data for development projects?
- Who has successfully integrated data privacy and data security into programs?
- What does successful consideration of data privacy and data security look like?
- What are the potential consequences if data security and privacy policies fail?
- Where can we find resources and peers to help guide us?
We’ll start with several interactive discussion sessions on privacy and security, then we’ll have engaging breakout groups that focus on real world applications and challenges related to Principle 8. By the time we finish, we’ll have a solid understanding how to incorporate privacy and security into development programs.
Our event will be guided by these thought leaders:
- Ms Liudmyla Romanoff, Privacy Officer at UN Global Pulse
- Mr Peter Micek, Senior Policy Counsel, AccessNow
- Kathy Joe, Director of International Standards & Government Affairs, ESOMAR
- Mr Thomas Braun, Chief of Global Security & Architecture, UN Office of ICT
Please note: This is an in-person only event and all participants must RSVP via this Google Form.Principle 8: Privacy and Security
Friday, May 8th, 2015
8:30 AM to 1:00 PM
United Nations HQ
New York, NY
- The brand-new metallization patterning processes for plated solar cells
- Africa: Kite Power
- Virtual reality as an urban tourism destination marketing tool
- What will cloud computing bring to healthcare? – Overview of cloud applications in healthcare
- Nokia plans to aquire withings to accelerate into digital health
- Creative Device Meets Innovative Business Model
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020