Applying lean in product development – enabler or inhibitor of creativity?
April 13, 2015 Editor 0
Lean has become increasingly popular as a process management approach outside its original application in manufacturing, and it is frequently used as a means to increase efficiency in research and development (R&D) processes. Previous research suggests that lean can be used to increase R&D efficiency, but there is disagreement on whether or not this comes at the expense of creativity. In this article, the effects of lean product development on creativity are studied by means of case studies in the R&D departments of five companies. The empirical observations highlighted a number of important aspects when applying lean in product development. The data suggested that a primary focus of lean in product development was flow, rather than waste reduction, and that significant focus was given to the reduction of disturbances. Another finding was the need for a long-term perspective in R&D to safeguard creativity and that the reduction of slack time following the implementation of lean clearly limited the opportunities to undertake unsanctioned innovation projects, often referred to as ‘skunk work’. Finally, the importance of management support and employee training to aid the implementation of lean was emphasised.
Go to Source
- Lessons from Ideation: Where Does User Involvement Lead Us?
- The Future of Prototyping Is Now Live
- Platform-based Product Design and Environmental Turbulence: The Mediating Role of Strategic Flexibility
- Key determinants of the successful adoption of new product development methods
- Enhancing New Product Development (NPD) Portfolio Performance by Shaping the Development Funnel
- The rise of social product development
Subscribe to our stories
- Entrepreneurial Alertness, Innovation Modes, And Business Models in Small- And Medium-Sized Enterprises December 30, 2021
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021