Taking Root: Global Trends in Agricultural Biotechnology
March 29, 2015 Editor 0
Nearly two decades of experience have shown that agricultural biotechnology has the potential to address some of the world’s pressing challenges. Its potential, however, cannot be addressed in isolation. Instead it should be part of a larger effort to expand the technological options needed to address persistent and emerging agricultural challenges.
The aim of this paper is to review the evidence on global trends in the application of agricultural biotechnology and identify some of their salient benefits. The paper is cognizant that biotechnology alone cannot solve the world’s agricultural challenges. But even though it is not a silver bullet, it should still be included in the package of technological options available to farmers. The evidence available today suggests that public policy should appeal more to pragmatism and less to ideology when seeking solutions to global agricultural challenges.
- Forces influencing developing country views of agricultural biotechnology: an analysis of training programme participants’ perceptions
- Beyond sovereign guarantees: The case for sub-national finance
- Top management team diversity in fostering organizational ambidexterity: Examining TMT integration mechanisms
- The dynamic linkages between sociocultural values and successful business development and performance: case study of Mourid entrepreneurs in Senegal
- Fish farming: High-tech breeders
- Waiting for a white-collar job: a sure way to extend unemployment in Nigeria
Subscribe to our stories
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021
- Explicit knowledge networks and their relationship with productivity in SMEs May 30, 2021