SKA can help uplift Mozambique, says Vice Minister
March 29, 2015 Editor 0
Participation as an African partner country, with South Africa, in the international Square Kilometre Array (SKA) radio telescope programme is important to Mozambique, the country’s Vice Minister for Science, Technology, Higher and Professional Education, Leda Hugo, told Engineering News Online. “It is important for it gives us the possibility to uplift our country through science, technology and innovation, in coordination with other African countries and in a global environment,” she said.
The country is already making preparations. “We have several programmes of training, some [of them] post-graduate programmes. At this stage, all of them are outside of the country, including in South Africa,” she reported. “We are building a technical team to take responsibility for this programme, altogether with another Centre we have, an ICT [information and communications technology] park in our country. The main focus is on training young Mozambicans for this science, including post-graduate degrees.”
The country is identifying possible sites for outstations for Phase 2 of the SKA (outstations from the South African core, in the Karoo region). It already has a programme to benefit the rural communities situated near the outstations.
Go to Source
- The future of business matchmaking
- Assessing the implementation and influence of policies that support research and innovation systems for health: the cases of Mozambique, Senegal, and Tanzania.
- MoU to allow nine African countries to drive forward radio astronomy projects
- Reading on Mobile Phones? mLiteracy Opportunities and Challenges
- Nine African countries to drive forward two radio astronomy projects
- SA and Algeria to develop aeronautical research cooperation
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020