New surveys reveal dynamism, challenges of open data-driven businesses in developing countries
December 17, 2014 Editor
Open data for economic growth continues to create buzz in all circles. We wrote about it ourselves on this blog site earlier in the year. You can barely utter the phrase without somebody mentioning the McKinsey report and the $3 trillion open data market. The Economist gave the subject credibility with its talk about a ‘new goldmine.’ Omidyar published a report a few months ago that made $13 trillion the new $3 trillion. The wonderful folks at New York University’s GovLab launched the OpenData500 to much fanfare. The World Bank Group got into the act with this study. The Shakespeare report was among the first to bring attention to open data’s many possibilities. Furthermore, governments worldwide now routinely seem to insert economic growth in their policy recommendations about open data – and the list is long and growing.
Geographic distribution of companies we surveyed. Here is the complete list.
We hope to publish a detailed report shortly but here meanwhile are a few of the regional findings in greater detail.
- Africa: Mckinsey Teams Up With ITU Telecom As Knowledge Partner to Explore Transformative Impact of Internet in Africa
- Who’s Really Using Big Data
- Ambitious Women Face More Obstacles than Just Work-Life Balance
- A Computer Can Do Your International Development Job Thanks to Open Data
- 9 Ethical Considerations in Participatory Digital Mapping with Communities
- African high-speed data network open to researchers
Subscribe to our stories
- A regional enterprise to commercialize an integrated technology for waste water treatment and biowaste conversion in eastern Africa May 27, 2018
- Dr Peggy Oti-Boateng May 27, 2018
- Three years in a row: Mauritania continues to excel in its Doing Business performance May 27, 2018
- Africa RISING farming technologies reach 60,000 households in Ethiopia May 27, 2018
- 7 questions to ask before you launch an enterprise blockchain project May 27, 2018