6 Ways Development Organisations Can Support Kenyan Tech Startups
July 7, 2014 Editor 0
The GSMA writes extensively about the social and economic impact connectivity has on people’s lives. Our recent Mobile Economy Sub-Saharan African report highlighted that the mobile ecosystem currently contributes 6.3 per cent to regional GDP and will generate 6.6 million jobs by 2020.
Our Digital Entrepreneurship in Kenya 2014 report focuses new attention on Kenya’s emerging digital entrepreneurship ecosystem, with a unique perspective on entrepreneurs developing mobile enabled services. In Digital Entrepreneurship in Kenya, we highlight the challenges startups are currently facing and the opportunities for collaboration among stakeholders, in particular opportunities for engagement with the mobile industry.
This research was undertaken to understand the challenges to developing digital services across Kenya. It included over 300 in-depth interviews with entrepreneurs, mobile and information and communication technology (ICT) industry corporates, investors, tech incubators and accelerators, and other support organisations. The GSMA’s partner in this effort, *iHub_Research, helped us reach over 230 local startups across Nairobi, Kisumu and Mombasa.
Specific Recommendations for Development Organizations
- Support early stage funds and accelerators with financial resources to offset operational costs of running fund/ accelerator programmes, or by co-financing their investments
- Establish programmes that build capacity and provide training to investors and business angels
- As almost all entrepreneurs are inherently addressing social problems or underserved needs, donors do not need to uniquely support ‘social’ entrepreneurs or impact investment funds
- When sponsoring innovation competitions, ensure winner selection criteria includes sustainability, add non-monetary awards, and disburse money on a milestones basis
- Support the creation and dissemination of market information into public domain
- Support networking opportunities that promote partnership and collaboration within the ecosystem
- Toward a truly white organic LED
- The Changing Role of the CIO – Driving Innovation
- Harnessing a peptide holds promise for increasing crop yields without more fertilizer
- Mike Macharia, CEO of Seven Seas Technologies |
- Landmark report sets priorities to address malnutrition
- Why the Future of Innovation is Open
Subscribe to our stories
- Entrepreneurial Alertness, Innovation Modes, And Business Models in Small- And Medium-Sized Enterprises December 30, 2021
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021