Are These 6 Steps All That’s Needed to Ensure Digital Inclusion?
June 3, 2014 Editor 0
The Government Digital Service (GDS) is leading the digital transformation of the UK government and they like to release things early for review and comment. The digital inclusion team is looking for feedback on an alpha version of a checklist for digital inclusion.
The checklist was developed in collaboration with partners from across government, private, voluntary and public sectors and is meant to act as a guide for any organisation involved in helping people go online. Essentially, they want to know if this is the right checklist to say “If you do these things, you’re doing digital inclusion”.
Review their points and tell us, are they right? Is this all you need to do to ensure digital inclusion?
- Start with user needs – not our own: Tailor support around the unique barriers that stop people going online, and adapt to people’s needs which change over time
- Improve access – stop making things difficult: Provide simple, low cost options for those who are socially and economically excluded to get online
- Motivate people – find something they care about: Bring digital into people’s lives in a way that benefits them; helping them do things they care about and can only do online
- Keep it safe – build trust: Make it easier to stay safe online by providing simple and straightforward advice and tools
- Work with others – don’t do it alone: Work together to maximise expertise, experience and resources to better meet user needs
- Focus on wider outcomes – measure performance: Identify wider outcomes that can be delivered by helping people become independently confident online and use data to understand what works
- Feeling responsible vs acting responsibly: contributions of a leadership programme
- Innovation Ahead for Higher Education
- Ghana: Prioritise Internet Penetration, Access in Ghana
- Local producers of solar-powered school bags featured on CNN
- 3 Reasons Crowdsourced Innovation Is Difficult
- Open Innovation in Electronic Health Records
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020