Are These 6 Steps All That’s Needed to Ensure Digital Inclusion?
June 3, 2014 Editor 0
The Government Digital Service (GDS) is leading the digital transformation of the UK government and they like to release things early for review and comment. The digital inclusion team is looking for feedback on an alpha version of a checklist for digital inclusion.
The checklist was developed in collaboration with partners from across government, private, voluntary and public sectors and is meant to act as a guide for any organisation involved in helping people go online. Essentially, they want to know if this is the right checklist to say “If you do these things, you’re doing digital inclusion”.
Review their points and tell us, are they right? Is this all you need to do to ensure digital inclusion?
- Start with user needs – not our own: Tailor support around the unique barriers that stop people going online, and adapt to people’s needs which change over time
- Improve access – stop making things difficult: Provide simple, low cost options for those who are socially and economically excluded to get online
- Motivate people – find something they care about: Bring digital into people’s lives in a way that benefits them; helping them do things they care about and can only do online
- Keep it safe – build trust: Make it easier to stay safe online by providing simple and straightforward advice and tools
- Work with others – don’t do it alone: Work together to maximise expertise, experience and resources to better meet user needs
- Focus on wider outcomes – measure performance: Identify wider outcomes that can be delivered by helping people become independently confident online and use data to understand what works
- The Right Way to Rally Your Troops
- Biodiesel in Brazil: science, technology and innovation indicators
- Crop intensification and organic fertilizers can be a long-term solution to perennial food shortages in Africa
- An empirical study on the contribution of lean practices to environmental performance of the manufacturing firms in northern region of Malaysia
- Cities must promote research into their own futures
- Product-process connect in a regenerative innovation decision framework relating feasibility, impact and complexity
Subscribe to our stories
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021
- Explicit knowledge networks and their relationship with productivity in SMEs May 30, 2021