1st Toronto Tech Salon: How Can Technology Improve International Development?
May 15, 2014 Editor 0
May 21st Toronto Salon – RSVP Now
We have all seen the pretty pictures of children playing with fancy new gadgets, and while the photos are uplifting, do they really signify progress?
- Does the introduction of new technology, specifically information and communication technologies like mobile phones, computers, and the Internet really accelerate the social and economic advancement of the developing world?
- Will Asian Tigers and African Lions use wireless communications and new big and open data systems to leapfrog legacy infrastructure and reap digital as well as demographic dividends?
- Or might we be overestimating the reach of modern technology? Could new solutions and their diffusion patterns inevitably widen the digital divide?
- And are we actually imposing Western values and suppressing local businesses with extractive electronic tools no better than colonial powers of the past?
Please RSVP now to join an intimate gathering of 35 thought leaders and decision makers in technology and international development for what will be a lively yet informal discussions on the opportunities and challenges in using the tools of tomorrow to create lasting change today.
We will be joined by three noted experts in the field who will start the session with their thoughts on the topic:
- Jacob Korenblum, CEO of Souktel Development Solutions
- Meredith Lee, Program Manager at MasterCard Foundation
- Mark Leclair, Knowledge Manager at Farm Radio International
Then, we’ll quickly jump into the heart of the Salon – an open and lively discussion moderated by Wayan Vota co-founder of Technology Salon, with everyone participating as equal peers with their thoughts, ideas, and opinions.How Can Tech Improve Development?
1st Technology Salon Canada
Wednesday, May 21, 2014
Ontario Ministry of Economic Development, Trade and Employment
Ministry of Research and Innovation
We’ll have hot coffee and a light breakfast for a morning rush but seating is limited, so be sure to RSVP now to be confirmed for attendance. RSVP is required and once we reach our 35-person capacity there will be a waiting list.
- Creating ‘Shared Value’: Delivering On Social Values
- The microwave pyrolysis of biomass
- Mastering Motivation: Finding a better way to work toward your goals
- How a 68 year old UNICEF runs like a startup and what you could learn from it
- Translating biotechnology to knowledge-based innovation, peace, and development? Deploy a Science Peace Corps–an open letter to world leaders.
- Five Coaching Strengths that Produce Champions
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020