Knowledge management in supporting collaborative innovation community capacity building
May 1, 2014 Editor 0
Purpose – The importance of collaborative innovation in developing organizational competitiveness is increasingly being recognized in both theory and practice worldwide. Collaborative innovation, however, is still under-explored from the trans-disciplinary perspective of knowledge management and community capacity building. This paper investigates the role of knowledge management in collaborative innovation and identifies the knowledge management approaches for supporting collaborative innovation community capacity building (CICCB) in organizations.Design/methodology/approach – A comprehensive review of the related literature in collaborative innovation and knowledge management is conducted. Three demands for CICCB including (a) trust building for enhancing the effectiveness, (b) sustainability building for improving the efficiency, and (c) extensibility building for developing the competitiveness in organizations are identified which paves the way for the development of a holistic approach to effective CICCB.Findings – Three roles of knowledge management in supporting CICCB are identified including (a) the reformation of knowledge management for convergence in collaboration, (b) the remediation of knowledge activities for synergy in communication, and (c) the reconfiguration of knowledge artifacts for the integration of knowledge management activities in connectivity. A holistic approach is proposed for effective CICCB in organizations including (a) the multi-dimensional convergence for trust building in collaboration, (b) the multi-directional synergy for sustainability building in communication, and (c) the multi-layer integration for extensibility building in connectivity.Research limitations/implications – Insights about how organizations can better support CICCB through effective knowledge management for improving their competitiveness are provided based on the identification of the demand for CICCB and the role of knowledge management in collaborative innovation. The development of a holistic approach to effective CICCB can help organizations better utilize their limited resources for developing their competitiveness in today’s dynamic environment.
Originality/value – This paper is the first step of a comprehensive study on the role of knowledge management in supporting CICCB in organizations in today’s dynamic environment. It provides a solid foundation for the investigation of the models, approaches and mechanisms for effective CICCB through knowledge management in organizations.
Go to Source
- Optimization of hydrogen production from pretreated rice straw waste in a mesophilic up-flow anaerobic staged reactor
- How onions recognize when to bulb
- Crowdsourcing Crop Improvement in Sub-Saharan Africa: A Proposal for a Scalable and Inclusive Approach to Food Security
- Why are payment services essential for financial inclusion?
- Africa: Wireless Broadband Use Up but Least Developed Countries Left Behind, UN Reports
- How Can Mobile Services Improve Youth Employment Opportunities?
Categories: Knowledge Management
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020