Impact of prototyping resource environments and timing of awareness of constraints on idea generation in product design
March 29, 2014 Editor 0
Publication date: April 2014Source:Technovation, Volume 34, Issue 4
Author(s): Lisa Schlecht , Maria Yang
Research and development laboratories in universities and firms around the world try to maximize innovation with a limited set of resources. However, questions remain about the influence of resource constraints on idea generation in early-stage product design. Multiple embedded case studies were conducted with engineering students and faculty at two university campuses in Mexico. Students developed sketches for products that would satisfy an open-ended design problem in a constrained-resource setting, where the variables were the timing of when information about these constraints was revealed, and the regular prototyping environment of the student. The evidence suggests that the timing of awareness of constraints can have an impact on design outcomes, but that this effect varies depending on the designer’s regular prototyping resource environment.
- Consortium addressing key policy issues for the application and adoption of Bio-Innovate’s agricultural and environmental bioscience innovations
- The impact of agricultural emergence on the genetic history of African rainforest hunter-gatherers and agriculturalists.
- Three years in a row: Mauritania continues to excel in its Doing Business performance
- Technology transfer and innovation: exploring the multifaceted nature of this interaction
- Why Do Foreign Investors’ Attitudes toward Women Matter?
- Grants4Targets: an open innovation initiative to foster drug discovery collaborations.
Subscribe to our stories
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021
- Explicit knowledge networks and their relationship with productivity in SMEs May 30, 2021