Orange on the Verge of exiting several African markets, starting with Uganda
March 8, 2014 Editor 0
French operator Orange has mandated Lazard to find a buyer for its mobile telecoms business in Uganda according to TMT Finance. Orange is the key brand of France Telecom, one of the world’s leading telecommunications operators. With more than 131 million customers, the Orange brand covers internet, television and mobile services in the majority of countries where the Group operates.
According to TMT Finance, the carrier is thought to be planning an exit from several markets in Africa where it does not already hold a number one or two spot. Aside from Uganda, which is thought to be the only geography where an official process is underway, this could also include Orange’s mobile businesses in Kenya, Democratic Republic of Congo and Niger, among others.
MTN has the largest subscriber base with a total of about 8.5 million subscribers, seconded by Bharti Airtel which recently acquired Warid Telecom for around US$100m from the Abu Dhabi Group in May 2013.
Since the launch of the brand in Uganda 2009, Orange Uganda has positioned itself as a strong challenger on the market with a series of innovative and attractive offers. Currently the operator is the number one Internet services provider in the country with the largest 3G+ network. The Telcom has offerred its customers the best quality of service according to the Uganda Communication Commission report published on March 2011.
The post Orange on the Verge of exiting several African markets, starting with Uganda appeared first on TechPost.
- British Council and Bharti Airtel launch digital learning hubs across sub-saharan Africa
- Free Wikipedia-via-SMS is coming to a mobile phone near you
- 7 African Mobile Phone Service Tariffs and Bundles
- Orange Uganda Launches 4G LTE — Boasts of Superiority
- Airtel and Warid Innovate as Sim Registration Deadline Draws Near
- Kenya: Airtel, Softbank Trial Cost Effective 3G to Rural Areas Using Satellite
Subscribe to our stories
- In pictures: the 2019 Africa RISING Tanzania monitoring visit August 30, 2019
- Active Internationalization of Software Enterprises: Scale Development and Validation August 30, 2019
- The Manager’s Guide to Leveraging Disruption August 30, 2019
- Key take-aways from a recent Africa RISING exchange visit in Ghana August 30, 2019
- Device that recycles vaporized water from power plants wins MIT $100K May 28, 2019