Linear and Nonlinear Thinking: A Multidimensional Model and Measure
March 3, 2014 Editor 0
Building upon previously developed and more general dual-process models, this paper provides empirical support for a multidimensional thinking style construct comprised of linear thinking and multiple dimensions of nonlinear thinking. A self-report assessment instrument (Linear/Nonlinear Thinking Style Profile; LNTSP) is presented and preliminarily tested across three studies with an overall sample of 778 respondents comprised of business students and managers. The results indicate that nonlinear thinking style consists of seven distinct, yet interrelated dimensions: intuition, creativity, values, imagination, flexibility, insights, and emotions. Convergent and discriminant validity estimates vis-à-vis a multidimensional creative thinking index and an emotional intelligence measure provide support for further development of the instrument. The implications of these results for future managerial cognition research are discussed, as well as potential practical applications of the LNTSP for management education and business practice.
- Is Nurturing Creativity a Luxury or a Necessity for Schools in Developing Nations?
- Three Creativity Challenges from IDEO’s Leaders
- Enhancing Digital Fluency through a Training Program for Creative Problem Solving Using Computer Programming
- Innovation: An Outside-In Approach
- Opening up Openness to Experience: A Four-Factor Model and Relations to Creative Achievement in the Arts and Sciences
- Thinking Outside the Clocks: The Effect of Layered-Task Time on the Creative Climate of Meetings
Subscribe to our stories
- Prize-winning projects promote healthier eating, smarter crop investments June 28, 2018
- Reliable energy for all June 28, 2018
- Making marble from bottles: plastic waste’s second life in Kenya June 28, 2018
- A regional enterprise to commercialize an integrated technology for waste water treatment and biowaste conversion in eastern Africa May 27, 2018
- Dr Peggy Oti-Boateng May 27, 2018