Ericsson innovation lab may be opening in Uganda –the first in Africa
February 7, 2014 Editor 0
Ericsson has been in operation in Africa for about 117 years. Besides the offices it has distributed allover the continent, it doesn’t have a research or innovations hub staged in situ.
Now, at the recent Swedish Ugandan ICT conference: Dorothy Okello, the commnications officer at the College of Engineering, Design Art and Technology at Makerere University invited Ericsson to pitch camp on the campus and open up an innovations lab. She decried continued sidelining by Telecom giants to the university. Infact, it’s only Microsoft that set up a student’s and research hub at the College of Computing.
Undeniably, universities are the fountains of innovations and advancements in academia. Private and public ought to tap into this potential lest it goes to waste. For example through mentoring, refresher courses, maker faires et al
However, the Ericsson consumer lab located in Sweden is the laboratory from where the giant telecom company carry experiments and analyse reports, but this time around having the consumers as the focal point.
The difference of the innovations lab from the consumer lab is that it would not only foster students with the much needed practical skills but also tout Ericsson’s brand as a corporate social one.
Image via Telecoms.com
The post Ericsson innovation lab may be opening in Uganda –the first in Africa appeared first on TechPost.
- Using Interactive Management to Identify, Rank and Model Entrepreneurial Competencies as Universities’ Entrepreneurship Curricula
- Engaging Kenya’s youth through a tablet computer
- When less is more: coordinating innovation in open versus closed source software development
- Got a New Strategy? Don’t Forget the Execution Part
- Rwanda: We Have Free Wi-Fi, but Who Will Have Access?
- Africa: UN Projects 40% of World Will Be Online By Year End, 4.4 Billion Will Remain Unconnected
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020