Mobile data subscriptions account for 99 percent of all Internet access in Kenya
December 4, 2013 Editor 0
Take a close look at that chart from the Quarterly Sector Statistics Report for October-December 2010 from the Communications Commission of Kenya (CCK). Does anything look striking to you? How about the number of mobile data subscribers? If you don’t fully grasp the chart yet, let us listen to what the CCK has to say about it:
The number of internet/data subscriptions reached 4.7 million at the end of the quarter under review up from 3.2 million at the end of the previous quarter. The growth in the data market is attributed to three mobile operators having rolled out their 3G services. This represents 46.8 per cent increase during the quarter under review. Satellite subscriptions have continued to decline significantly and during the quarter under review, a reduction of 12 per cent was experienced as illustrated in Table 7.
The mobile data/internet subscriptions through GPRS/EDGE and 3G continue to dominate internet subscriptions and accounted for 99 per cent of the total subscriptions during the period.
Wow, that statistic is stunning. Now I thought that mobile data had a commanding position in Internet access models, but 99%? No wonder that mobile phones are killing the cybercafé business model. This should be a clarion call to all webmasters too – you better have a mobile version of your site if you want to reach Kenyans.
Now what might this statistic say to fixed or wireless ISPs in Kenya?
Get ICTworks 3x a week – enter your email address:
- How Your Brand Can Beat Goliath
- Perspectives on the role of stakeholders in knowledge translation in health policy development in Uganda.
- Establishing payments interoperability: coordination is key
- Strategy: An Executive’s Definition
- The technological decision model: an entrepreneurial innovation in digital printing technologies
- Solar pumps seeing the light in Lemo, Ethiopia
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020