Life Apps: Kenya’s Silicon Savannah to help subsistence farmers
December 2, 2013 Editor 0
Life Apps is a groundbreaking new Al Jazeera English series that challenges young app developers from around the world to visit remote communities to experience their everyday hardships and create app solutions to improve their lives.
The first episode of Life Apps premieres on Al Jazeera English on Wednesday, 27 November 2013. In Silicon Savannah, Africa’s technology capital Nairobi is a hive of entrepreneurial Kenyans in a thriving technology industry. However, while some in Kenya are moving forward, four out of every ten Kenyans still live on less than two dollars a day.
Muniu Kariuku is co-founder and chief technology officer at Bityarn Consult, a Nairobi-based app developer. Muniu is challenged to create a life app that can help hard-pressed subsistence farmers like William Ojuang, who farms indigenous vegetables like Osuga in Ugenya.
Later episodes follow app developers from Rio’s favelas to Indian farms to the nomadic Himba people in Namibia, as they try to use technology to deliver social change.
Image: Al Jazeera
The post Life Apps: Kenya’s Silicon Savannah to help subsistence farmers appeared first on TechPost.
- Financing community-based tourism: 9 ways to get taken seriously
- Al Jazeera’s Femi Oke: How Africans are bypassing traditional media gatekeepers to tell their stories on the web
- Namibia: A Proposal to Make Bioplastics From Seaweed
- Berkeley Innovation Forum
- How global leaders develop
- Why It’s Time to Disrupt Old Business Models
Subscribe to our stories
- Entrepreneurial Alertness, Innovation Modes, And Business Models in Small- And Medium-Sized Enterprises December 30, 2021
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021