Inventing HP in 3D
November 29, 2013 Editor 0
ONE company you might expect to make three-dimensional (3D) printers is HP, a giant in the world of two-dimensional printing. There are similarities between inkjet printers and desktop 3D printers, which deposit successive layers of molten plastic instead of liquid ink in order to build up solid objects. So HP should know something about the technology. And it already has a big customer base into which it could sell such machines. Indeed, many desktop 3D printers can already be found in offices next to their 2D counterparts. But apart from a brief liaison with Stratasys, a Minneapolis firm which made some 3D printers for HP, nothing has appeared.
That could change next year because HP is finally preparing to enter the market, Meg Whitman, the firm’s chief executive, has revealed in recent meetings with analysts. Although short on detail, Ms Whitman talked of making 3D printers that offer good value in different segments of the consumer and industrial market.
But has HP missed the bus? Ms Whitman describes the 3D printing industry as being an “acorn” which could grow into a business with good long-term prospects. Instead of…Continue reading
- 3D printing: Pimp my ride
- Please RSVP Now: Is 3D Printing a Relevant Technology for Development?
- 3D printing community rallies to create $5 hand for kid
- A pilot biomedical engineering course in rapid prototyping for mobile health.
- What’s the implication of 3D printers for the World Bank’s mission?
- Inexpensive 3D Printer in the world
Categories: The Economist
Subscribe to our stories
- A regional enterprise to commercialize an integrated technology for waste water treatment and biowaste conversion in eastern Africa May 27, 2018
- Dr Peggy Oti-Boateng May 27, 2018
- Three years in a row: Mauritania continues to excel in its Doing Business performance May 27, 2018
- Africa RISING farming technologies reach 60,000 households in Ethiopia May 27, 2018
- 7 questions to ask before you launch an enterprise blockchain project May 27, 2018