The Most Influential USAID Paragraph on Mobile Money
November 20, 2013 Editor 0
Back in December 2011, I organized a Technology Salon on mobile money with Menekse Gencer and Priya Jaisinghani to figure out how we could increase mobile money usage in development. Once recommendation was to put mobile money language into USAID Request for Proposals.
Fast forward to mid-2012, and Procurement Executive Bulletin No. 2012-05 comes out with suggestive language for mobile money references in USAID RFPs to promote the Better Than Cash Alliance goals:
USAID encourages host country governments, bilateral and multilateral development partners, contractors, subcontractors, grantees, sub-grantees, and private sector alliance partners to help strengthen the financial services sector in the countries we work. Where programs propose cash distributions, partners should consider incorporating electronic payment systems into program design and implementation where feasible, thereby reducing reliance on physical cash.
Now this is just an information request to understand the use of electronic payments by implementing partners, and the information provided in proposals cannot be an evaluation factor unless specifically stated in the solicitation document, but when was the last time you saw a suggestion in an RFP and didn’t follow it?
And I’m seeing multiple RFPs with this language these days – direct and obvious hints of USAID’s future direction away from cash and towards mobile money. Of course, who can argue that’s anything but a great idea? Mobile money is so much more efficient that I’m surprised implementers haven’t already made the wholesale switch. In fact, if you’re still using cash disbursements, do tell why!
Also, if you want to spot the next technology trend in development, sign up to get invited to future Tech Salons.
- ASSESSING TECHNOLOGY DIFFERENCES IN ELECTRONIC AND MOBILE PAYMENT SYSTEMS AMONG DEVELOPED AND DEVELOPING COUNTRIES
- Shopping for all: Mobile technology as social enterprise
- Why a unified database of mobile users could mean an economic boom in Africa
- Big steps toward Ghana’s digital future
- Aren’t Medicine and Water More Important Than Telecommunications?
- Will Google and Facebook Drive the Drone Agenda in International Development?
Trouble with the Curve? Why Microsoft is Ditching Stack Rankings Tapping into Your Inner Creative
Subscribe to our stories
- Entrepreneurial Alertness, Innovation Modes, And Business Models in Small- And Medium-Sized Enterprises December 30, 2021
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021
Popular Post-All time
- A review on biomass-based... 1k views
- Can blockchain disrupt ge... 808 views
- Apply Now: $500,000 for Y... 806 views
- Test Your Value Propositi... 759 views
- Prize-winning projects pr... 727 views