SA’s first CubeSat has launch date set
November 19, 2013 Editor 0
South Africa’s first CubeSat, ZACube-1, is scheduled for launch from Russia’s Yasny launch base on a RS-20B Dnepr rocket at 09:10 South African time on November 21, the Department of Science and Technology (DST) announced on Tuesday evening. Yasny is located in Russia’s Orenburg oblast (province).
“The launch of CubeSat is proof of the skills and the facilities we are gradually developing in the country to ensure space science and technology benefits every citizen of South Africa,” affirmed Science and Technology Minister Derek Hanekom. ZACube-1 has been funded by the DST and developed by the French South African Institute of Technology (F’SATI) at the Cape Peninsula University of Technology (CPUT).
The tiny spacecraft measures 10 cm x 10 cm x 10 cm and has a mass of 1.2 kg. Despite its minute size, it has a serious scientific mission – it is fitted with a high frequency radio beacon that will be used by the South African National Space Agency’s (Sansa’s) Space Science Directorate to analyse the propagation of radio waves through the ionosphere. This will form part of the directorate’s research into space weather.
Go to Source
- CPUT Cansats bring space to schools in the Cape
- SA’s first Cubesat heading for the launch pad
- SA’s first Cubesat heading for the launch pad while Cansats stimulate pupils
- SA to host first Brics science, technology and innovation Ministerial meeting
- Space agency boosts earth observation, launches new satellite image mosaic of South Africa
- New satellite project to simulate SA space sector
Subscribe to our stories
- Virtual reality as an urban tourism destination marketing tool January 26, 2020
- Exploring VR experiences of tourists' attachment to a rural destination January 26, 2020
- Sustainable intensification: Is a systems perspective essential for integrated crop-livestock systems? January 16, 2020
- Disseminating maize agronomy technologies using interactive voice response in Malawi–the opportunities and pitfalls January 12, 2020
- Towards a communication-based typology of management control modes: showing the relevance of communicative action for entrepreneurial settings December 24, 2019