Platform-based Product Design and Environmental Turbulence: The Mediating Role of Strategic Flexibility
November 13, 2013 Editor 0
Purpose – When competing in a turbulent environment, strategic flexibility can be a competitive advantage. One source of flexibility is the new product development process, or more specifically product design. The purpose of this paper is to investigate platform-based product design and its relationship to environmental turbulence, strategic flexibility and market performance. Design/methodology/approach – A theoretical model is developed and relationships are empirically tested using structural equation modeling. Data was collected from engineering design managers in the U.S. manufacturing industry. Findings – We found that the higher the level of environmental turbulence the more firms turned to platform product design. Also, the higher the level of platform design the higher the level of market performance, both in the short-term and the long-term. Finally, we showed that strategic flexibility positively and partially mediates the positive relationship between platform design and performance. Originality/value – Platform-based product design is a research area noticeably devoid of empirical work. Furthermore, research has called for a better understanding of the different contexts in which platforms are applied stating that platform planning is too often decoupled from new product development strategy resulting in unsatisfactory results.
Go to Source
- Technology Questions Every CMO Must Ask
- The Vital Entrepreneurial Learning Organization: A Corporate Mindset for Entrepreneurial Change Management
- 7 African Mobile Phone Service Tariffs and Bundles
- Observing discussion forums and product innovation – A way to create consumer value? Case heart-rate monitors
- Rethinking SME Finance Policy – harnessing technology and innovation
- Why Is an App Worth as Much as a Small Oil Field?
Subscribe to our stories
- Entrepreneurial Alertness, Innovation Modes, And Business Models in Small- And Medium-Sized Enterprises December 30, 2021
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021