Product innovation processes and the trade-off between product innovation performance and business performance
November 12, 2013 Editor 0
Purpose – This paper is concerned with the management and organization of product innovation processes, and how innovation performance relates to business performance. The underlying rationale is that encouraging firms to innovate will lead to a better business performance. Design/methodology/approach – This study leverages a data-set of 99 medium-sized technology firms in Sweden. The first part of our analysis in this study aims at finding determinants of product innovation processes, and the second part is the analysis and trade-off between innovation performance and business performance. First, a research framework is developed in which the link between strategic dimensions, process dimensions, and organizational dimensions of product innovation activity and product innovation performance is tested. Second, the research framework tests the relationship between innovation performance and business performance (sales and profitability).Findings – Product innovation performance (patent) is affected by seven variables of the 14 variables that represent product innovation processes. Product innovation performance is not affected by firm size, firm age, branch, and product life cycles and, in the regression model, all three innovation performance variables (patents, copyrights and licenses) have a positive effect on the firm´s sales, but there were no connections to the firm´s profitability. Originality/value – The main implication of the study is the idea supporting a multi-aspects approach to the product innovation processes and performance since product innovation process dimensions (variables used in the study) have only partial influence on innovation-/business performance.
Go to Source
- Product innovation processes and the trade-off between product innovation performance and business performance
- Customer Integration in Service Innovation: An Exploratory Study
- Complexities in innovation management in companies from the European industry: A path-model of innovation project performance determinants
- How Open Innovation Can Help Your Business Grow
- What is the role of commercialization and reputation in product innovation success?
- Complexities in innovation management in companies from the European industry: A path model of innovation project performance determinants
Subscribe to our stories
- Prize-winning projects promote healthier eating, smarter crop investments June 28, 2018
- Reliable energy for all June 28, 2018
- Making marble from bottles: plastic waste’s second life in Kenya June 28, 2018
- A regional enterprise to commercialize an integrated technology for waste water treatment and biowaste conversion in eastern Africa May 27, 2018
- Dr Peggy Oti-Boateng May 27, 2018