Podcast: the democratization of manufacturing
November 7, 2013 Editor 0
Manufacturing is hard, but it’s getting easier. In every stage of the manufacturing process–prototyping, small runs, large runs, marketing, fulfillment–cheap tools and service models have become available, dramatically decreasing the amount of capital required to start building something and the expense of revising and improving a product once it’s in production.
In this episode of the Radar podcast, we speak with Chris Anderson, CEO and co-founder of 3D Robotics; Nick Pinkston, a manufacturing expert who’s working to make building things easy for anyone; and Jie Qi, a student at the MIT Media Lab whose recent research has focused on the factories of Shenzhen.
Along the way we talk about the differences between Tesla’s auto plant and its previous incarnation as the NUMMI plant; the differences between on-shoring, re-shoring and near-shoring; and how the innovative energy of Kickstarter and the Maker movement can be brought to underprivileged populations.
Many of these topics will come up at Solid, O’Reilly’s new conference about the intersection of software and the physical world. Solid’s call for proposals open through December 9. We’re planning a series of Solid meet-ups, plant tours, and books about the collision of real and virtual; if you’ve got an idea for something the series should explore, please reach out!
- The Future of Prototyping Is Now Live
- The next industrial revolution
- Technology that gets under your skin
- How to Ensure Long-Term Sustainability for a Computer Lab
- The Technology of Nonviolence: How cellphones and crowdsourcing are saving lives and livelihoods
- The Tools That Can Make You a Better Innovator
Subscribe to our stories
- A regional enterprise to commercialize an integrated technology for waste water treatment and biowaste conversion in eastern Africa May 27, 2018
- Dr Peggy Oti-Boateng May 27, 2018
- Three years in a row: Mauritania continues to excel in its Doing Business performance May 27, 2018
- Africa RISING farming technologies reach 60,000 households in Ethiopia May 27, 2018
- 7 questions to ask before you launch an enterprise blockchain project May 27, 2018