Hybrid purposes of performance appraisal in a crisis
November 7, 2013 Editor 0
Purpose – Purpose/Design: This theoretical paper examines one aspect of the implementation of the performance appraisal with a focus on its operation in an economic downturn and particularly a global economic crisis. Design/methodology/approach – It identifies the stated purposes of the performance appraisal in multinational corporations (MNCs) and explores the unstated purposes of the performance appraisal, which emerge during performance evaluation and feedback stages. The paper then investigates the different expectations employees and managers have of the performance appraisal and finally examines the changes to these expectations in an economic downturn.
Findings – Findings: The principal conclusion that can be drawn from this analysis is that there is a weakness in the design and substance of the performance appraisal research. The international appraisal is not exclusively conditioned by culture but also by the numerous contextual-organizational, institutional and economic factors found in the typical MNC
Practical implications – Practical implications: It is suggested that possible strategies could include careful implementation of performance appraisal with attention to both the cultural and contextual environment. It is argued that by addressing both cultural and contextual variables the appraisal will be effective in helping achieve the MNC’s strategic goals, even in a time of global economic crisis.
Originality/value – Originality: This paper adds to the body of knowledge of international human resource management research by illuminating the consequences of an uncertain economic environment on performance management across borders and also paves the way for future research in this important area of management research.
Go to Source
- The Most Innovative Companies Don’t Worry About Consensus
- Get Your Virtual Team Off to a Fast Start
- Increase Workplace Flexibility and Boost Performance
- 60-Second Drills Can Sharpen Your Business Reflexes
- Do “rising stars” avoid risk?: status-based labels and decision making
- Develop the Leaders You’ve Been Overlooking
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020