How Public Libraries Connect People to ICT for Development
November 3, 2013 Editor 0
Public libraries play a critical role in extending the benefits of information and communication technologies (ICTs) to a diverse range of people worldwide. However, their ability to contribute to development agendas has come into question in recent times.
Using data from Botswana, Chile, and the Philippines, Public libraries connecting people for development: Findings from the Global Impact Study summarizes the study’s key findings with a focus on libraries, situating these venues in the context of national development, discussing some disputed issues, and providing recommendations for policymakers, library practitioners, and researchers.
The results show that a central impact of public libraries is promoting digital inclusion, information access, and development of ICT skills through technology provision, particularly for marginalized populations and those who face challenges using and benefiting from computers and the internet.
The data also suggest a number of library characteristics that are important to users and provide a unique public value, with both users and non-users reporting positive impacts and a willingness to pay to maintain the existence of public libraries.
- Which ICT4D Projects Use Progressive Design Principles?
- You Can Change the World of Hardware and Enter to Win a Google Nexus 7 Tablet
- Use the Child Friendly Technology Framework for ICT4Kids Project Design
- Aren’t Medicine and Water More Important Than Telecommunications?
- Relevant and Essential: ICT for the New Bank
- 12 Considerations in Designing ICTs to Better Support Children
Subscribe to our stories
- A regional enterprise to commercialize an integrated technology for waste water treatment and biowaste conversion in eastern Africa May 27, 2018
- Dr Peggy Oti-Boateng May 27, 2018
- Three years in a row: Mauritania continues to excel in its Doing Business performance May 27, 2018
- Africa RISING farming technologies reach 60,000 households in Ethiopia May 27, 2018
- 7 questions to ask before you launch an enterprise blockchain project May 27, 2018