Can competencies at selection predict performance and development needs?
October 28, 2013 Editor 0
Purpose – This study explores the utility of an organisation-wide competency framework, linking competency ratings at selection to later development needs and job performance.Design/methodology/approach – Candidates’ scores at a management selection event were compared to their performance appraisal scores on the same competencies six to 12 months later (N=58). Scores on numeracy and profit-and-loss tests were also collected at the selection event and related to subsequent performance (N= 207) and development needs.
Findings – Competency ratings at performance appraisal were significantly lower than at selection interview. Correlations between ratings at interview and at performance appraisal were generally weak, though one (Understanding the Business) showed significant relationships with 5 of the 7 performance appraisal competencies. In addition, competency ratings were related to employee turnover and managerial development needs. Research limitations/implications – Although competencies were clearly defined, inter-rater variations may have occurred which obscure the relationships. However, it is of interest that a single competency at selection (Understanding the Business) seems to have the greatest effect on performance, employment outcome and development needs.
Practical implications – A competency framework that is embedded in both selection and performance ratings can provide the organisation with a clearer understanding of what determines managerial success, as well as informing better selection decisions. This study also raises the issue that performance ratings may be influenced more by a manager’s ability to understand the business than by any other competencies.Originality/value – The use of a longitudinal design provides unique evidence of the relationship between competency ratings at selection and later performance, employment outcome and development needs.
Go to Source
- Innovation and Culture – Two Halves of the Same Coin
- Get Your Virtual Team Off to a Fast Start
- Increase Workplace Flexibility and Boost Performance
- Develop the Leaders You’ve Been Overlooking
- Live Web Event: Developing Your Innovation Competency – A Three Stage Model
- How a Bathtub-Shaped Graph Helped a Company Avoid Disaster
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020