Please RSVP for Communication Channels in Crisis Situations
September 25, 2013 Editor 0
Technology Salon and Internews present:
Communication Channels in Crisis Situations
Technology Salon West
October 1, 2013
San Francisco Bay Area
Click here to RSVP
On October 1st the San Francisco Technology Salon and the Vodafone Americas Foundation will welcome Internews Humanitarian Communication Director Jacobo Quintanilla and Internews former Burma Country Director Alison Campbell for a deep discussion on crisis communications.
We debate current efforts in Burma, Syria (both inside and in ballooning refugee camps along the border) and South Sudan, three countries with very different circumstances, where disaster risk reduction is aided by improving local communications for and by their people.
Please RSVP now to join your peers in technology and development to find answers to questions like:
- What roles do local media and user-centric communications play in preparing for and acting in disasters?
- How can ICT4D help strengthen communication channels for local communities to prepare and manage their own resilience when facing crisis?
- How do communications in crisis situations differ based on the specifics of the event?
- What are the top tools – technology, platforms, services – used today in crisis situations? What’s still needed?
Please RSVP now to join the conversation. There will be no powerpoint presentations or remote participation, only an in-person, off-the-record intense debate of these questions by 30 industry experts sharing their experiences.
Communications Channels in Crisis Situations
Technology Salon West
9:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
Tuesday, October 1, 2013
Vodafone Americas Foundation
275 Shoreline Dr., Suite 400
Redwood City, CA 94065
Space is limited to just 30 people so everyone can participate in the discussion. This event will fill up extremely quickly, so RSVP ASAP to be confirmed for attendance.
We’ve prepared a list of pre-discussion links and reference materials relevant to this discussion. Please feel free to review and add to the list prior to the event.
Special thanks to the Vodafone Americas Foundation for hosting this Technology Salon.
Vodafone Americas Foundation™ is part of Vodafone’s global family of foundations. We are affiliated with Vodafone, one of the world’s leading mobile telecommunications companies that has significant presence in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Asia Pacific and the United States. We are located in California’s Silicon Valley and Denver, Colorado. “Mobile for Good” is a universal theme throughout Vodafone’s 28 foundations worldwide. The Foundations mobilize communities by bringing people together from all sectors: business, nonprofit, government, employees and even our customer base, to resolve shared problems and advance social change.
Learn more at vodafone-us.com.
The Technology Salon™ is an intimate, informal, and in person, discussion between information and communication technology experts and international development professionals, with a focus on both:
- technology’s impact on donor-sponsored technical assistance delivery, and
- private enterprise driven economic development, facilitated by technology.
Our meetings are lively conversations, not boring presentations. Attendance is capped at 30 people – and frank participation with ideas, opinions, and predictions is actively encouraged. It’s also a great opportunity to meet others motivated to employ technology to solve vexing development problems. Join us today!
- 4 Steps to Establishing a Technology Ecosystem in Kenya
- Only Ebenezer Scrooge Could Applaud Such Stark Inequality; The Dickensian Divide of Intensifying Wealth and Poverty
- A New Type of Philanthropy: Donating Data
- The Art of Teaching Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- Are WiFi-only tablets and mobile devices impractical in hotspot-starved African countries?
- Google launch SMS version of Gmail in Africa
Subscribe to our stories
- Entrepreneurial Alertness, Innovation Modes, And Business Models in Small- And Medium-Sized Enterprises December 30, 2021
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021